Thursday 24 September 2015

Day 2: temptations & Labels

Hello,

Day 2 I realized this might be a little harder than I thought. It is not so much the big things and when I say big things I mean Meat, poultry, and fish and I have not had any temptations to eat meat which I am quite surprised about. It's the little things that I didn't realize I would have to cut out while making this transition in vegan-ism. For example I like honey in my morning coffee and due to routine and morning grogginess I grabbed the honey out of the cupboard for my coffee. Soon as I flipped the cap it dawned on me that I was making a boo-boo. I placed the honey back in the cupboard and loaded my coffee with a little extra almond milk. I believe honey will not be a huge issue, I just realize that I am going to need to pay a lot more attention on my dietary input. I know some vegans use honey and consider themselves Bee-gan but like I said in my initial post that this is an experiment and I am going full hog ;) can vegans make meat jokes or is it taboo?


When I am home I have no temptations. It's not like I am craving or even dreaming about meat. It’s the temptations that I didn't realize I was giving up. When I arrived at work my colleagues bring in treats such as cookies, chocolate, and candies. Once I saw the cookies I knew this would be a battle of will power. Every Time I walked by that smorgasbord of treats I repeat to myself "I don't want it and I definitely don’t need it" it's not like I am saying it out loud, people already think crazy for running 100 mile races and switching to plant based whole food diet so I keep that mantra to myself. For these temptations I know I don't need them but like meat was for me it's an addiction and I know just like the time I quit smoking, the first 3 weeks will suck but I will come out healthier person and undeniably stronger willed.  
 
I picked up a new hobby and it’s called reading labels. I say this because I know my wife will not always be there for me holding my hand in the grocery store telling me this item is fine”,  or “this is not". I have to educate myself, so I gave myself a mission to become more familiarized with the ingredients I am putting into my body. This will not be a simple task because like most people some ingredients I cannot pronounce and I lack knowledge of what they actually are. Is there a website I can look at to familiarize myself with the sneaky terminology that will help me stay vegan. I know from a basic standpoint on what not to ingest but some ingredients like Gelatin I never knew what it was until I googled it. Do most vegans put in the work and become google masters? 

I am very appreciated of all the feedback I am getting, thank you!

Fact: A plant based diet cuts your carbon foot print by 50%

Corey Paquette


No comments:

Post a Comment