Tuesday 22 September 2015

The Experiment

Hello,

To start things off, I recently watched the documentary COWSPIRACY on Netflix. It was unlike any other documentary I have ever seen. I have watched countless documentaries on healthy Living, eating and alternative options for daily meat consumption (Food Matters, Forks over knives, and hungry for change). 



In the previous months my beautiful wife Laura has switched to a vegetarian life style due to mostly her love for animals. She tried to get me to make more healthy choices in my eating habits. I went along with her eating slightly cleaner meals and trying to go full days without meat, but that only happened on rare occasions.

Back on point, I am writing about this for my own personal data base to keep me accountable through my journey of being a vegan. I will talk about myself and other facts that I learned about going on a plant based whole food diet. Just to warn you I have no experience with blogging and to be honest I am slightly nervous for this whole ordeal. I will write about my daily experiences with a plant based whole food diet and how it affects me as a husband, runner, and as a person. 

For this challenge I am giving myself some goals, some may be more attainable than others but what the heck go big or go home.


Goals:

  1. Lose weight, I am curious to see how a plant based whole food diet will affect me on the scale (starting weight 175lbs)
  2. Improvement with my running/ physical activity (faster times, recovery)
  3. Do my part to help the environment (watch COWSPIRACY to understand the impact of the meat/diary/agriculture  industry on the environment)
  4. Learn to cook 10 different vegan recipes, to help take the strain off my wife, because lets be honest I'm no pro in the kitchen.
  5. write daily about my experience with vegan-ism and how I am coping.
  6. I would like to say this was a 30 day challenge but to be honest if I want to hit goal #2 Ill have to go vegan till my next race which will most likely be the Ottawa Marathon which will be in May of 2016
Fingers crossed, but luckily for me I have a supporting wife that is great in the kitchen and is going to go full on vegan with me. It will be nice to have a partner in this experiment and to motivate each other and to stay on track. 

See you tomorrow,

Corey

Fact: Animal Agriculture is responsible for 91% of Amazon destruction!!!!

13 comments:

  1. Good Luck Corey, I'll be watching out for your updates. You Got This!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegucated on Netflix was very moving too! You can do it, I think your experience will be very motivating for many others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look into Vegucated (knowledge is power). I am already moved by the response I am getting. If someone chooses to better there life because of my blog or from a link I post that would be simple bliss.

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful thing. Good for you. I'm rooting for you. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gooooo Corey! I hope the best for your wife too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your transition! I am 3 years into my vegetarian running lifestyle. My partner is on year #22! It's absolutely possible

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to do a blog for this experiment. I did a couple posts on my website about a year ago when I switched but have been bad at keeping it updated.
    I can tell you that one of the things that will make it a million times easier is having a hardcore supportive partner. Also, I found shifting the perspective from "How can I resist eating meat, or how do I replace it on my plate?" to "I'm excited about this delicious vegan meal, or to try something new and exciting." We've gotten used to meat being the centrepiece of our meal and it's hard to break that idea. Just focusing on all the great vegan foods you've got at your fingertips and those that you have yet to discover will take over that stress over how to fill that void of meat. It's not a one thing substituting for another, it's a totally shift in how you think about how we eat.
    I'm looking forward to following along and seeing how it goes for you. Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I have been vegan for 3+ yrs (vegetarian since 3 more) and will never go back. My running career started around the same time so it is hard to tell it's direct effec. But I am certainly more in tune with my body.
    Quick question: why do you think you might lose weight because of the move, I know lots of 'bigger' vegans too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might Loose weight due to cutting back on excess of meat i was eating daily. I was eating huge amounts of cheese as well. While doing this experiment ill be cutting out candy also. Its an experiment I do not think I will loose a serious amount of weight but hopefully 5lbs just keeping notes on all factors that may change.

      Delete