Sunday 27 September 2015

Week 1: Complete


Hello,

First off sorry I got lazy, but forgive me it’s the weekend. I had a great weekend filled with fun and love. Last week I was working evenings so I didn't see my wife at all last week, so you understand why I was begging for the weekend. 
Got off work Friday went straight home, and to celebrate the weekend I opened a beer. If you know me you know I love my craft beer. I opened a beer called "Hand & Seal" from Brooklyn brewery (USA). It was a solid Barley-wine aged in bourbon barrels 13.3%. To my surprise I woke up lightly hung-over which I am usually not after one beer. I did decide no more drinking during the week and plus the new vegan lifestyle, I think the beers have caught up with me. I do believe the slight alcohol affected my system harder than usual; its fun to see how the body changes and adapts, don't get me wrong the headache was not fun. 
Saturday was a great day, seeing my wife an all we had lots of fun laughing and playing with the pups. She told me how proud she was for me changing my lifestyle and all. Saturday night we made dinner reservations at a vegetarian/vegan restaurant called Cafe My House in Ottawa, Canada. To be honest I was a little nervous. I love my wife's cooking but I knew this would be different. This would be my first attempt as a vegan at a restaurant. Laura and I ordered popcorn/kale chips which were amazing we also ordered broccoli tempura with spicy Korean BBQ sauce which was the winner over the Apps. For my entree I ordered fennel sausage in an onion broth. To my surprise I had to ask what this sausage was made of, seriously I thought it was meat. It was made of red kidney beans and spices, oh so good. My wife also enjoyed her mushroom scallop dish. I highly recommend this restaurant.  I cannot wait to try more vegan restaurants.
Sunday is GAME DAY!!! I wanted to take the stress of my wife for dinner so we made a simple pizza. I used my homemade BBQ sauce; we also used onions, tempeh, tofu, pineapple, broccoli, kale, and some vegan cheese my wife bought. It actually turned out great. I am super proud of my first homemade meal without meat. I am excited to see what I come up with next, something more challenging I hope. I want my wife to be proud of the meals I put in front of her, at least match her at her own level of expertise ;)  and Seahawks won so I am happy.
Since switching my daily nutrition intake I am itching to run. For those who don't know I ran Eastern States 100 miler couple weeks back, hardest thing I have ever done. I was quite happy finished 7th male, 2nd in my age group, with 3 rattle snake encounters which freaked me out enormously. Two weeks after my race I torn ligament/tenants in my ankle. I did this by running across the street trying to catch the light, I know IDIOT. I know quite embarrassing my wife laughs and tells me "you can run 100 miles, but can’t cross the street". Since then I changed my food intake and I am itching to get back to running. I believe I will do great things in 2016 by my standards of course I not going to break any records or anything like that. I am hungry to push myself and I have personal goals I want to obtain. I have never eaten this proper before and I know I will make huge gains in my running. 

I am still proud of my new choice in life, even though some people are scared of it. HAHAHA let me explain I was on the phone with my parents, they invited us over but then got nervous saying they don't know what to feed us. I know they mean well I have my parent’s support 100% and soon they will understand why I chose this path. 

Once again I couldn't do this without my wife, and this is my shout out to her....I LOVE YOU BABE!! She has actually gone to bed, yes we are early birds. Since she has gone to bed please do not be a grammar Nazi she’s my editor and proof reader ;)
My question for this post is, what do you prefer as a meat substitute tempeh, tofu, and or seitan? Are there nutrient benefits for each for each?

Fact: The meat and dairy industry use 1/3 of the earth's fresh water

Thank you,

Corey



No comments:

Post a Comment